Steamed fish, vegetables and coconut rice (Thermomix recipe)
I am blogging some of my favourite recipes so that I can quickly find them again when I need them. This is a new favourite (I have only just started using the varoma on my thermomix). I am continuing to make efforts to make more nutritious meals at home (this can be a struggle with a 2.5 year old and a husband that works really late). This recipe comes from the thermomix website. It could also be made with conventional methods (steaming and boiling).
4 pieces Basa Fish (I used Salmon and cut it into quarters. When choosing fish try to purchase small deep sea fish. Some good examples include: sardines, tuna, bream, silver warehou, herrings, prawns, snapper, trevally, whiting and garfish).
1 piece ginger, (Small)
1 clove garlic
1/2 level teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 cup soy sauce (or tamari for a wheat free option)
1 heaped tablespoon brown sugar
to taste chilli flakes, (Optional)
80 g basmati rice (I used organic brown basmati rice)
100 g coconut milk (look for an organic one)
80 g Brocolli
80 g green beans
80 g carrot
(use up any veggies that you have in the fridge).
1. Wash and chop brocolli and carrot, trim green beans.
2.Put ginger and garlic in TMX bowl, Sp7 for 5 seconds. Remove contents and place in a separate bowl. Add sesame oil, soy sauce and brown sugar to ginger and garlic mince. Mix well and set aside.
3. Fill TMX bowl with water 1L of water and add coconut milk. Place rice in TM basket, rinse and insert into TMX bowl. Place chopped veggies in Varoma dish and set on top of TMX bowl. Cook on Varoma/5min/Sp3.
4. Whilst rice and veggies are cooking, wet baking paper and scrunch, place on Varoma tray and add fish with marinade and chilli flakes on top of fish.
5. Once 5mins is up, add Tray to Varoma with fish and set to Varoma/15min/Sp3.
6. Cooking time may vary depending on what fish you use or how much veggies or rice you add. Check on rice after 10 mins, if cooked remove TM basket. If one element (rice, veggies & fish) isn’t cooked after the 15min, remove whatever has cooked and set TMXor further 3 mins on same settings. Use fish marinade to flavour rice and vegetables if you like.
Thank you to my friend Sam for sharing this recipe on Facebook and for inspiring me to try it. It is a delicious meal. Enjoy.
With love, light and appreciation