Gluten Free Roasted Vegetable Lasagne
This has been one of my favourite recipes for years. It is delicious and lasts for quite a few meals. I found this recipe on Exclusively Foods and I have modified it to make it gluten free. I made it for dinner last night and as I was making it, Bubba G asked for some snacks. I gave her some of my coconut oil chocolates and she decided to give herself and the highchair a full coconut chocolate wrap, right as I was making my cheese sauce! I somehow managed to bathe her and to make my cheese sauce without burring it or making it lumpy. That was quite a feat! After the bath, we had a Cat in The Hat chocolate bath ring to clean up. Orange Power came to the rescue. I love that stuff (and their pre-wash stain remover is awesome too)!
Anyway…. here is the recipe:
EXCLUSIVELY FOOD: ROAST VEGETABLE LASAGNE (adapted to make it gluten free)
- 950g mixed vegetables (I used sweet potato, zucchini, mushroom, eggplant and garlic)
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tablespoons sundried tomato pesto (I need to find a homemade recipe for this. In the meantime, I choose the healthiest commercial one I can find and that is nord salse. I used the whole jar because it usually goes to waste if I leave the left overs in the fridge).
- 660g canned crushed tomatoes
- About 100g gluten free lasagne sheets
- 100g (1 cup, firmly packed) grated mozzarella.
Peel and slice vegetables and place in a large bowl. Season vegetables with salt and pepper, drizzle with the oil and toss to coat with oil.
Place sweet potato on a baking tray or dish and roast at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes. Turn vegetables over and roast for a further 5-10 minutes. Add remaining vegetables and roast for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender © exclusivelyfood.com.au
While vegetables are roasting, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft (about 2-3 minutes). Add garlic and pesto and cook for another minute. Stir in crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer for approximately 10 minutes, until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in roasted vegetables.
Spoon half the vegetable mixture into 2.5 litre casserole dish. Top with a layer of lasagne sheets. Spread with half the cheese sauce. Repeat the layers, finishing with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 35-40 minutes, until golden brown.
- 80g butter
- 50g (1/3 cup) gluten free flour (a mixture of chickpea and tapioca flour works well)
- 625ml (2 1/2 cups) milk (I used almond milk)
- 44g (1/2 cup) grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir flour into melted butter and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth. Continue cooking until sauce bubbles and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. © www.exclusivelyfood.com.au
Here is another one of the Heart Temple‘s gorgeous photos of Bubba G:
With love, light and appreciation